Monday, September 1, 2008

The DNC & VO

Ok as I was watching the roll call, I kept listening to how people would introduce their state and themselves. When I realized what I was doing, I cracked up...After all announcing your state at the roll call is not the same as voicing a tag for the West Wing, but perhaps seemed just as much fun nevertheless.


I must admit I was touched by the whole thing. I NEVER thought I would live to see the day that people, particularly older folk of the Caucasian persuasion would passionately rally behind an African American as their leader. Truly we are entering a new era. Racism is still alive and well but the impact of Barack's nomination is so empowering and inspiring. In a time where the pervasive images of Black men as pimps, "playas", and criminals is glamorized and commercialized, Barack as the next President of the United States is such a powerful alternative. Even more so, since Barack is the real thing as opposed to some actor/entertainer living up to an image. (Even though, we know any sort of public official has to have an idea of "how to act/behave" in public)


With that said, I think not being in the public eye is one of the reasons I have been in radio and interested in voice over. In these two fields, I access the entertainment world without intense public scrutiny. What I look like does not have the same weight as a TV personality or movie/stage actor. Consequently, I don't have to be as concerned with how my looks may inform my range of my opportunities and by extension the potential quality of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment