Friday, October 17, 2008

BOY what a D day indeed

Yesterday D was for Demo -- I met up with my friend for my demo session. He wanted me to do some reads for alternative rock station. HILARIOUS! I did not realize how strong my regional accent was until he started pointing out how I was pronouncing certain words. It was very eye opening. It is going to be interesting to hear the final product. It will be a great starting point until I am able to start gigging regularly.



Yesterday D was for doomsday, but in fact it wasn't doomsday yesterday. TODAY was doomsday. The company for which I work, WorldSpace Satellite Radio, filed Chapter 11 this morning. Consequently, this afternoon, everyone in my dept except for 3 people were laid off. So I have now officially joined the ranks of the unemployed. How do I feel? Well, frankly it sucks but I anticipated something like this happening months ago, so I prepared for it. I am so grateful I did. I had asked the HR person about COBRA and you know what? The cost of basic medical insurance for a single person is about $527 a month. How much do I get a month in unemployment insurance? Approximately $1500. So how does one budget for rent, gas, food, bills AND medical insurance?? Let's see....food or bills, health or rent? Indeed people are hurting. Glory be to God. I am doing fine. Will I have medical insurance? I have to start looking now to see what my options are. I am very healthy so I may have to pass at least for a lil while and believe God will continue to keep me safe.

Still, ironically, I am excited. Excited about what is coming. Excited to see what this challenging situation will bring out of me. Again I know I said it before, but preparation is soooo important. When I first suspected this company may be coming to a close, I got ready for this season. Now here I am - in it. Wow.


Here's to the future! Pray for me!


I feel like I am being led to the edge of a cliff, and have to trust that my parachute will open and help me land on my feet.

GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOO!




(to comment, click title)

No comments:

Post a Comment