Tuesday, August 5, 2008

MY FIRST STEP: MY FIRST TRIAL

What happens to a dream deferred? Don't know just yet since I am trying to catch up with one of them -- and that is to be one of the star voices in an animated film.

With things at my radio job going a bit koo-koo, I figured there was no time like the present. Soon after, I was spending time with a friend and fellow radio professional and told her my thoughts. She told me she was going to Voice 2008, a big voice over conference from beginners to professionals with all the big wigs present. I was down for the cause. She told me if I took care of my own travel and registration, I could room with her for free. Hallelujah! That was all I needed to hear. It was early July.

Within a week, I purchased my ticket, and guess what? A VERY IMPORTANT paycheck I was expecting was being delayed indefinitely. WHAT?!!! That check was to pay for my registration, let alone rent.

But I had already purchased my ticket. So I talked to God (which I do daily like all day) and said "OK now you knew this check was going to be late, when I purchased my ticket, so I believe you still want me to go, even though it puts me in a financially challenging position" If I knew this check wasn't coming, I would have never thought about going to VOICE. So, there are several things I did. First of all I said in my best southern preacher charismatic voice "GOOD Gawd almighty, have mercy on me!" See, I keep a very modest liquid cushion. Any other money I have takes a while to get my hands on. Some of it I can't even access right now; and I live debt free. I don't have a Visa or Mastercard; and just in case you were wondering, I am currently not swimming in excess money (can I get witness?), and don't come from a (financially) rich family. Now I still would be quite OK if that delayed check wasn't delayed, but right now that was not the case.


So, I prayed, meditated and visualized that delayed check coming soon. I also visualized money just coming to me, and believing according my Christian belief system that the charity I have consistently exercised would be reciprocated, that God has nothing but the best in store for me and that the fact that I just believe God was all I needed. The meditations calmed me and boosted my faith and confidence. The following day a $700 "appreciation" check came in the mail from my best friend, for the many times I have helped him in a tight spot. The next day my $200 monthly payment from my flexible spending account came in too. I still needed more money to cover all my bills. Still, I wasn't going to let my $430 plane ticket go to waste and I really wanted to go. I said "I see you GOD! This is a faith move. Just help me be wise" So July 31st, I hit that paypal button and paid $600 to register for the conference.


Did I have enough to pay my rent? Yes, but I wanted that as cushion. I also for the first time in years, applied (and was approved) for a visa credit card with a zero interest rate for a year. I figured it would come in the mail when I returned from the conference. I also called my landlord and told him my rent would be late this month (the first time in the five years I lived in this apt), but he would get it b4 the month's end and would get next month's on time.


Now how could I promise that? Well, I recalled a side gig assignment that I had temporarily put on hold until I got the software I needed. This week, I found the software brand new and cheap on ebay, paid for it and determined to complete the gig when I got home from the conference, if not b4. Once it was completed, I knew it would pay at least 2 grand. Enough to cover me until that delayed check came in.


All of the above, leads me up to this point....I'm about to leave for the conference in a day or two and don't have a demo, so I am off to the studio to throw something together....YIKES!


Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment