Saturday, August 9, 2008

VOICE 2008 - Peter "Voice for Hire" Rofe

As I was checking out the booths at the exhibition hall, I had an opportunity to talk with VO superstar Randy Thomas. Very down to earth cool people. I loved her energy. I also got to chop it up with premier Voice Over coach Peter Rofe and can I tell you? I ate him up. His dry delivery just vibed with my dry sense of humor. He was friendly, cool, honest and confident. He also carried a straight-no-chaser diplomatic demeanor that I appreciated. As he was talking, I felt like God said, go ahead ask him to listen to your demo. So I did. The first thing Peter did was warn me, flatly saying "I'm going to be honest..." I said yes that is what I want! So I pulled out my ipod and he listened. He then told me that for something that I threw together, I have production skills which is good; he said I also need coaching and then generously gave me pointers about putting together a demo.


Again another person who didn't "sell" his services, but gave me some genuine feedback. We talked about some of the VO books that were out. One of my favorite recommendations he gave me was the forthcoming book written by him and Randy, Voice for Hire. He just calmly said "Wait until October"

I decided to coin this phrase and add my own twist to it. It became an inside joke with my new friend Norman of Voiceoveruniverse. Anytime we had something to eat or drink that we didn't like or was disappointed by, we would look at each other and say "we should have waited til October"



Seriously tho, my conversation with Peter as well as the one I had with Keith yesterday really made the conference special. To me, there is nothing like someone giving of themselves without pitching their products/services. Mind you I am not mad at that. After all, we all have bills to pay. However, it is also nice to just vibe and exchange info without my feeling like I am being courted as a potential client. There was another coach who wasn't on any panel that I knew of, but she came over to my friend and started giving all kinds of advice. Connie Terwilliger I believe was her name. I appreciated her so much, even though I never got to tell her. So I say to the Universe -- Thank you for Connie.

Wow, God was really blessing me at this conference, I didn't expect anything less, but it still blows my mind when the answers to my prayers and intentions manifest, which leads me to Randy Thomas' session "Living The Dream"

(to comment, click on entry title)

No comments:

Post a Comment