Wednesday, August 6, 2008

IN THE STUDIO Creating My Demo


You know I work in radio, so I went to the studio to do my demo. Now, I have very little experience creating a voice over demo, and did not do any real research. I checked out the demos on Voice 123 and some on the William Morris website and just decided to go for it. After all time was not on my side. I had to pack, clean, work....

I figured if nothing else a demo should show some range and not be too long. So that was my objective.

I did my character demo first. I just opened the mike and did a bunch of character voices, with no sound effects. Nothing. I didn't have much time. For scripts, I found some commercial copy on extraneous websites. It's like 11:30 pm and I knew a co-worker of mine who has his own production company was doing his live radio shift, so I asked his opinion of it. He was surprised. He thought I had range and then gave me some technical pointers. The EQ was on and even though it sounded fine when I was recording it, as I played it back for him, it sounded horrible. So I had to do the whole thing over. UUUUUUGGHHH. I did all those reads and scripts on the fly. I tried to recapture them to the best of my ability, edited them together and then called it quits to work on my commercial demo.

OK now a radio demo I can do, but a commercial voice over demo. Lawd have mercy, help a sista out!

It was late and my behind was tired so again I threw some different kind of reads together to show some range. By the time I was done with both demos, the sun was coming up.

I then looked online to look for the cheapest ipod I could find. I had planned on putting these two demos on an ipod and have people listen to it and give me feedback. I found one for $20 at Staples. Thank you LAWD!

Now to take a nap, do some laundry, clean up and pack....After all I leave TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment