Saturday, August 9, 2008

VOICE 2008 - Keith Carson & Top Hat Productions

In the course of Allport's session, a friend of mine asked his advice on whether someone like a Production Director at a radio station could produce someone's demo. He plugged himself yet again. After the workshop however, a gentlemen, Keith Carson of Tophatproductions.net approached her to give some advice. Come to find out, he used to work at WBLS in NY, one of the stations I grew up listening to. I then asked if I could pick his brain. He kindly obliged. I asked him about VO books, coaching, branding and of course had him listen to my demo and asked for some straight-no-chaser feedback. For something really thrown together, he said he could see me having a successful career. (I said to myself hey that's a diplomatic constructive answer I'll take it!) My demo needed work, obviously, but unlike Chris All-about-me-port, Keith made no attempt to sell his services. He just endeavored to be as helpful as possible. I think we talked for like 30 minutes. He was very generous with his information. I told him our conversation made this conference worth it to me. It's invaluable when people are helpful for the sake of being helpful. This was exactly what I wanted from the conference, and I got it. Thank you GOD!

Keith and I, needless to say, became buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment