Thursday, August 21, 2008

In Search of a Coach pt 3: Cool Peeps in DC

Let me tell you what happened to me when I finally got in touch with DC voice talent Ilene Russell. The nerve of her! So far, I have found the VO acting community to be filled with down-to-earth genuinely nice people, who are open to helping others. When I finally got to talk to Ilene Russell regarding coaches in DC, my impressions about the community were further solidified. (Yes, solidified, not shattered lol psych!) Ilene was very open about how she got involved in the biz, her coaching experience and her current pursuits; and even though I am the newbie in the biz, she picked my brain about VOICE 2008, since she was unable to attend. Ironically, she asked, what will I remember most about the event, what was the most impactful? I told her it was the people I met. The genuine friendships I started (like the one I just made with her). We chopped it up about VO work, blogging and life in general.


As far as coaching is concerned, here r a few things (among others) that I took away from our convo....

1) Chemistry between u and the coach, do we work well together?

2) That all of us are at different levels, some have more production experience, others more acting etc., so it is important that your coach meets you where u r and grows u from there.

3) Don't be surprised if that professionally produced demo you paid to have done a year ago may sound dated or "stale" after you start gigging and growing in your craft. (Shoot, my self-produced demo I did about three weeks ago has mildew all over it!)

4) This is a business of relationships. Stay in contact with people and continue to make friends in the community.

On that note, I am looking forward to talking to more folk, making more friends and learning more about the VO biz (and life in general too). Any advice you'd like to share (must read articles/books, websites I should visit, people I should stalk lol.) By all means, hit me up!

Thanks for reaching out Ilene. (Gotcha!)

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment